Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lessons from a Biotech Presentation.

I had a chance to hear Robert Coughlin speak Friday afternoon regarding the advances in the Massachusetts Bio Technology sector and its impact on the State. Robert is the CEO of the Mass Biotechnology Council. I must be honest and admit that I initially thought any discussion on Bio Tech was going to be pretty boring and dry - but it wasn't and I want to talk about why.
First of all as I read Roberts Bio my hopes improved, it was clear that rather than having a super technical background he had risen through the sales ranks and I believe that made a big difference for me and the other 500 people in the room. Could utilizing what he did help you?

1. He gave us a compelling reason as to the big picture. Good sales people start with a positioning statement that addresses the big picture and gets the emotions involved. Bob did this by mentioning his experiences having a sick child and desiring a cure (a very strong emotional argument) and by reminding us of the States former mistakes in allowing some of huge companies of the past to all move out west (very big picture) Now he had my undivided attention.
2. Bob spoke in the vernacular. I was expecting the talk to contain big words and terminologies that my very unscientific Brain couldn't handle - but not once did he go there. He spoke in terms that all 500 could understand.
3.He spoke with Passion and Personal Commitment - it was very clear that this was close to his heart and he let that show. People as a rule are attracted to that type of realism and can relate to it.
So Thanks Bob - I learned a lot, I want to Join the MBC and see if we can help other companies package their story in the way you were able to - like a true sales professional.
Historically speaking - great leaders have always been able to use these same methods to relate to their people and get their acceptance and buy-in. Conversely the hacks have not. Just compare Abe Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Alexander the Great and Henry the 5th to Dick Cheney, Jefferson Davis, Marie Antoinette and Czar Nicholas.

No comments: